Thursday, October 1, 2009

Nicole Young

I’ve always wanted to become a Journalist and it all started with me being an enthusiastic reader to numerous magazines such as the “TRUE LOVE, ELLE, DESTINY and GLAMOUR” magazines. I constantly look forward to every new issue and especially the column which targets the inner self and offers a reflective and inspiring drive for me to be a writer. I feel I have so much to offer in the Journalistic world, there are so many issues that us journalists can discover and help recognize stories through analytically or critically discussing the topics to come and sharing it with the viewers. With my groups “Battle of the Sexez” blog we concentrate on how society has become so obsessed with looks. This really affects millions of people around the world and there are many studies about this topic. I mean there are even examples like pop icon “Michael Jackson”, bless his soul but he suffered from the disorder of being dissatisfied with his “flaws” and went to undergo painful surgery to sanction the mistake, even though he wanted the world to believe that he was suffering from a rare skin disease.
I know the topic may seem morbid but its the tragic truth, we’re all critical of our own bodies and if society is only becoming more infatuated with what is an acceptable appearance and what isn’t it will lead people in believing that they are unattractive and classify themselves as being “ugly” and the truth of the matter is that nobody’s perfect-even though we’d like to be. Another fine example featured in our blog is Caster Simenya who is not classified as a male or female and has been judged on her ‘exceptional running performance’. It’s amazing how the media has forced her to conform. The ‘YOU Magazine’ turned Caster into a “girl” to fit in the category because people are threatened by her being different. Journalism has made me experience and realise that as people we all carry inside ourselves a deep sense of recognition, an inheritance that extends beyond the material; finely tuned radar for what we are essentially about. I believe in the blogging world journalists can help shape peoples lives and together constitute unforgettable stories. I look forward to write for a livelihood and because I see myself as a modern day “treasure hunter”. Give me a plot and a promise of gold and I’m good to go! I hope my groups blog will keep people around that are like-minded and supportive.

No comments:

Post a Comment